In 2014, the last year for which data is available, there were almost 300,000 motor vehicle accidents in New York State. While many were mere fender benders, more than a third involved fatalities or personal injuries of one sort or the other. In spite of technological improvements to automobiles, New York roads and highways can still be dangerous, particularly when the driver is less than vigilant. According to statistics released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), driver error is the single largest cause of highway accidents in the United States.
Five Common Examples of Driver Error
Among the most common examples of driver error that can lead to an accident are:
- Excessive Speeding – Many drivers claim that they speed because they need to save time. Yet, on a typical 10-mile excursion, exceeding the speed limit by 10 miles per hour saves no more than two minutes, yet increases the chance of a fatal accident by 300 percent.
- Failure to keep an appropriate lookout, particularly at intersections – Statistics indicate at least 40 percent of all accidents occur at intersections. Drivers turn without determining that the move can be safely made. They don’t heed stoplights and signs.
- Distracted driving – Safety experts say that as many as 23 percent of all highway accidents are linked to cell phone use. Note that it isn’t just texting that is dangerous; driving and phone discussions don’t mix. Contrary to popular belief, the human brain cannot give careful attention to the road and to the call at the same time.
- Driving while fatigued – Driving while exhausted – it’s an accident waiting to happen.
- Driving while impaired – Alcohol and drugs impede the driver’s ability to think clearly, to make defensive maneuvers, to judge speed and distances, and to respond with appropriate quickness.
Driver Error Can Be Life-Changing
In the fraction of a second, driver error, such as any of the types listed above, can change someone’s life forever. Driver negligence can cause great pain and suffering, permanent injuries, loss of income, and even death.
Involved in an Auto Accident?
If you or a family member has suffered injuries in an auto accident, you may be entitled to recover damages related to your medical expenses, loss of income, and permanent injury. You may also be entitled to additional sums for pain and suffering. Retaining an expert attorney to handle your personal injury claim is crucial to your success, however. E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy has the judgment and experience to establish your claim and negotiate the best possible settlement. We also have the skills and tenacity required to take your case to trial, if necessary.
We are one of the most highly respected law firms in upstate New York and the capital district. We have been representing clients for more than a hundred years; our law practice has stood the test of time. Make the right call. Call us now at (518) 730-4723 or complete our online form. The E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy law firm has an attorney available to assist clients 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year – even on holidays.