John personally handles each of his client’s cases and believes that effective communication is key to a successful attorney-client relationship.
John is a partner with E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy LLP and was previously a partner at Hacker Murphy, LLP before that firm merged with the E. Stewart Jones firm in 2015. He has been practicing law in upstate New York since 1995.
John prides himself in going the extra mile for his clients. As an experienced trial court litigator, he understands that the outcome of a case largely depends on the attorney’s preparation, knowledge of the law, and attention to detail.
His zealous advocacy skills and dedication to his clients have been recognized by bench and bar in both State and Federal Courts. In 2012 he received the highest rating of “AV” for ethics and legal ability from the peer review legal publication “Martindale Hubbell.” Since 2018, John has received the distinction of being named one of the “Top 25” lawyers in the Hudson Valley by “Super Lawyers” Magazine. He has a 10.0 rating on “AVVO” thanks to reviews by satisfied clients.
In 2020, John was elected to serve as a Board Member for the Albany County Bar Association where he currently acts as the Chair of the Newsletter Committee. He is a former President of the Capital District Trial Lawyers’ Association. He is also active in the Schenectady County Bar Association.
John prides himself in obtaining the best possible results for his clients taking into consideration the law and facts of each case. John strives to educate his clients regarding the legal process and likely outcomes in their cases. He is dedicated to answering his clients’ questions in a timely manner and keeping the lines of communication open during their legal proceedings.
John currently sits on the Board of Directors of the Epilepsy Association of Northeastern New York, an organization his mother helped to found over 40 years ago. In his spare time, he enjoys playing guitar, golf, and chess and spending time with his two boys, Siamese cat, and wife, Deirdre.
State of New York
- United States District Court, Northern District of New York
- United States District Court, Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court, Western District of New York
- United States District Court, Southern District of New York
- Juris Doctor, cum laude, Albany Law School Union University
- Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy, Clark University
- Multiple successful jury trials and settlements in both personal injury and commercial litigation cases
- Achieved numerous settlements in excess of $1.0 million for severely injured clients
- Settled a major injury claim for a roofer who was caused to fall due to lack of safety devices
- Settled hundreds of car accident cases involving spinal injuries, broken bones and lost time form work
- Successfully litigated dissolution of family business cases involving allegations of fraud and breach of fiduciary duties
- Arbitrated breach of contract claims involving business transactions
- Litigated and favorably settled ERISA long term disability cases on behalf of wrongfully denied insureds
- Tried multiple timber trespass cases to a successful conclusion
Awards & Recognition
- Listed in “Best Lawyers” since 2012
- Best Lawyers - 2024 “Lawyer of the Year - Plaintiff’s Personal Injury”
- “Top 25 Lawyers,” Plaintiff’s Personal Injury (Hudson Valley New York)
- Super Lawyers (2018 through present)
- “AV” Rating, Martindale Hubble (2012 to present)
- Highest rating of “10.0” on AVVO
- Capital District Trial Lawyers’ Association, Past President and current Member
- Albany County Bar Association, Executive Board Member
- Schenectady County Bar Association, Board of Directors
- Rensselaer County Bar Association, Member
- New York State Bar Association, Member
- Saratoga Bar County Association, Member
- Northern District of New York Federal Bar Association, Member
- Personal Injury
- Commercial Litigation