Skip to Content
Injured By Defective Stairs Legal Options

Injured By Defective Stairs Legal Options

Attorneys for Victims of Defective Stairs

Serving all of Upstate New York including Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs, and all of Upstate New York

Did you slip on stairs or trip in dimly lit conditions, but chalked it up to your clumsiness or bad luck? If a property owner’s code violation or neglected maintenance led to serious injury, E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, can explore a lawsuit for your economic losses and personal suffering.

Our injury attorneys have sued owners of apartment buildings, office buildings, hotels, stores, shopping malls, restaurants and other properties for falling injuries caused by defects or inadequate lighting. Contact us today to find out if you have a defective product case.

Understanding Property Defects and Code Violations in Upstate NY

The New York State Building Code governs residential property, commercial premises and places of public assembly. It specifies everything from the height of individual steps to the type of handrail required. It mandates a safe means of ingress/egress and adequate lighting of stairwells, walkways and parking areas.

E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy applies decades of experience in injury litigation to your premises liability claim. We often consult with engineers, architects and other industry professionals to prove that construction defects, code violations or negligent upkeep led to your slip-and-fall or trip-and-fall accident:

  • Broken or missing handrail
  • Broken railings on decks or balconies
  • Broken steps, torn rugs or slippery stairs
  • Unlawful steepness or uneven tread depth/riser height
  • Broken or insufficient lights in stairwells and entryways
  • Dark parking lots or parking ramps
  • Potholes or sidewalk defects
  • Snow or ice obscured by bad lighting

Personalized Legal Advice

Based in the Albany area, we have represented injured people in the Greater Capital District, throughout Upstate New York and across most of Western New York State. If we take your case, there are no attorney fees unless we secure compensation.

Contact us for a free consultation by phone at (518) 284-3183 or schedule a confidential in-person meeting with an attorney at one of our four convenient offices in Albany, Schenectady, Troy, and Saratoga Springs.

Have Questions?

We Have Answers!
  • If I hire an attorney but do not want to go to trial, can I settle?
    In the course of preparing a case for trial, your personal injury attorney will work with the defense attorneys and insurance companies in an effort to secure a fair settlement for you and your family. The final decision to accept an offer of settlement or go to trial is yours alone to make.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.
  • If arrested, what steps can I take on my behalf?

    1. Do not discuss your situation with anyone except your attorney.

    2. Unless your attorney says otherwise, do not discuss your case with law enforcement.

    3. Request to have your attorney present if you are to be put in a lineup or subjected to testing.

    4. Remain calm and courteous. Allow your attorney to speak for you to ensure that your rights are protected and you are given all the benefits afforded to you under the law.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.

  • What is the difference between criminal procedure and civil procedure?
    When a crime has been committed, action is taken by a government agency against the person, persons, organization or other entity that violated the law. The first purpose of a criminal prosecution is punishment, which frequently consists of a fine or jail time. In a civil matter, the dispute is between two or more individuals or entities. The first purpose of a civil prosecution is obtaining compensation for the wronged person or entity. Settlement in a civil matter is generally an award of a money judgment. A criminal sentence is not imposed in a civil matter.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.