Skip to Content
Representation Of Municipalities

Representation of Municipalities

E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy has represented numerous municipalities throughout the Capital Region. Our attorneys are general counsel to several area towns and villages, and have served as special counsel to other local bodies in novel and complex engagements. We are well-versed in the New York State laws governing municipal corporations (the N.Y. Town Law, Village Law, General Municipal Law, Municipal Home Rule Law, etc.) and make it our business to learn the local codes of our clients.

We handle the full spectrum of legal services frequently required by public sector clients, including:

  • Advice and counsel to planning boards and zoning boards of appeal on land use applications, including participation in board meetings and public hearings to assess and adjudicate applications.
  • State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) compliance—we aid our municipal clients in navigating the procedural and substantive requirements of SEQRA, on matters ranging from routine land use applications to special public projects.
  • Code enforcement support to building inspectors and code officers—we assist enforcement officials in promulgating and issuing charges and, when necessary, we bring litigation in courts of law to enjoin code violations.
  • Advice for compliance with the Freedom of Information Law (“FOIL”) and New York Open Meetings Law.
  • Compliance support concerning the purchase of good and services through the public procurement requirements of the New York General Municipal Law.
  • Preparation and/or review of contracts between municipalities and their vendors and other third parties—we prepare or edit contracts for our public sector clients with an eye toward protecting their commercial interests, and compliance with those strictures uniquely applicable to municipalities.
  • Advice and counsel regarding employment practices and employee discipline.
  • Defense of municipalities in Article 78 proceedings challenging the determinations of municipal officers and boards.
  • Representation of municipalities in other litigation, including commercial disputes, tort claims, insurance coverage cases, and more.

Our attorneys have the experience and the tools to be a full service legal resource for your community.

Have Questions?

We Have Answers!
  • If I hire an attorney but do not want to go to trial, can I settle?
    In the course of preparing a case for trial, your personal injury attorney will work with the defense attorneys and insurance companies in an effort to secure a fair settlement for you and your family. The final decision to accept an offer of settlement or go to trial is yours alone to make.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.
  • If arrested, what steps can I take on my behalf?

    1. Do not discuss your situation with anyone except your attorney.

    2. Unless your attorney says otherwise, do not discuss your case with law enforcement.

    3. Request to have your attorney present if you are to be put in a lineup or subjected to testing.

    4. Remain calm and courteous. Allow your attorney to speak for you to ensure that your rights are protected and you are given all the benefits afforded to you under the law.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.

  • What is the difference between criminal procedure and civil procedure?
    When a crime has been committed, action is taken by a government agency against the person, persons, organization or other entity that violated the law. The first purpose of a criminal prosecution is punishment, which frequently consists of a fine or jail time. In a civil matter, the dispute is between two or more individuals or entities. The first purpose of a civil prosecution is obtaining compensation for the wronged person or entity. Settlement in a civil matter is generally an award of a money judgment. A criminal sentence is not imposed in a civil matter.
    Contact us now to discuss your case with one of our experienced attorneys.