Stewart is a third-generation lawyer following his grandfather and father in a firm that has its origin in Troy in 1898 and a name partner at E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy, LLP.
Stewart’s work is litigation-based focused on medical malpractice, personal injury, and criminal defense in the State and Federal Courts.
He has twice been Chairman of the Albany Law School Board of Trustees, recipient of the Albany Law School Trustee Gold Medal, Chairman of the Legal Aid Society of Northeastern, New York, Chairman of the Legal Aid Society Justice for All Campaign, Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Albany Academies, Chairman of the Board of Overseers of the Albany Academies, and Vice President of the Board of the Saratoga Performing Arts Center.
He has chaired and co-chaired a number of Capital Campaigns, including those for Albany Law School, the Albany Academies, Gilda’s Club, the Legal Aid Society, the restoration of the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception in Albany, and countless academic and charitable Annual Funds. He and his wife Kimberly are currently Co-Chairs of the Community Gardens/Capital Roots Capital Campaign and presently serves on several different capital campaign steering committees.
He and his wife have established 9 endowed educational scholarships at 6 different schools and have also endowed research at a regional cancer research center.
Stewart's civic recognitions are numerous, including the Citizen Laureate (SUNY Foundation), Spirit of Hope (Gilda’s Club), Community of Excellence Award (St. Rose College), The Hart-Cluett Award (Rensselaer County Historical Society), Partners in Literacy (Literacy Volunteers), Spirit of Unity (Unity House); Beacon of Hope (American Cancer Society), Jefferson Award, Community Citizenship Award (TRIP and RCHR), the Hope House Circle of Hope, Pro Ecclesia at Pontifice Medal (Roman Catholic Church), Equal Access to Justice Award (Legal Aid Society), the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation Humanitarian Award, Troy Music Hall, Albany Institute of History and Art, the Envoy Salute Award (Albany Regional Chamber of Commerce).
- State of New York
- Northern District of New York
- Southern District of New York
- Western District of New York
- Eastern District of New York
- United States Claims Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court, District of Vermont
Honored By His Peers
Stewart is also a Diplomat of the American Board of Trial Advocates and the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys. His election as a Diplomat of the American Board of Professional Liability Attorneys reflects the recognition by his peers of his extensive experience and success in the evaluation, negotiation, and trial of lawsuits involving the negligence of professionals such as doctors, hospital personnel, and other healthcare professionals.
Stewart has also been honored by his election as a Fellow of the American Board of Criminal Lawyers. He is one of very few lawyers in the U.S. who has been Board Certified as both a Civil Trial Advocate and a Criminal Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy (1986-2002). In addition, Mr. Jones has been recognized by his peers in many of the legal industry’s top professional honors, including:
- Listed in S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America from the very first edition to the current edition in the categories, presently, of Personal Injury Litigation, Criminal Defense (three distinct categories – white-collar, non-white collar and DUI) and Malpractice Litigation.
- “Personal Injury Litigator of the Year” – Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America– 2009).
- “DWI Defense Lawyer of the Year”– Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America – 2012).
- “Criminal Defense: White-Collar Lawyer of the Year” – Albany, NY (S. News & World Report – Best Lawyers in America– 2014).
- Listed in Who’s Who in American Law.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the East.
- Listed in Who’s Who in America.
- Listed in Who’s Who in the World.
- “Top 500 Leading Plaintiffs Lawyers” (Law Dragon Magazine, 2007 and 2020).
- “Top 25 Attorneys in the Hudson Valley” (New York Super Lawyers – Upstate Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition) through 2019).
- “Top 10 Lawyers in Upstate New York” (Hudson Valley to Buffalo) (Super Lawyers Magazine – Upstate New York Edition – 2007 (inaugural edition) through 2020; (Top Point Getter in Upstate New York – 2007 and 2016 through 2020, and 2nd in four other years).
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
- Capital District Trial Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Albany County Bar Association
- Saratoga County Bar Association
- Member of the Committee on Character and Fitness for the Third Department
Stewart has authored numerous articles and chapters in a broad variety of trial advocacy books and has lectured extensively throughout New York State in all facets of personal injury lawsuits. If you wish to engage E. Stewart Jones to discuss a specific publication or request his participation in an upcoming industry publication, please contact us today.
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Criminal Defense