How to Challenge Tax Assessments in NY
Property Tax Reassessment and Certiorari Litigation
An assessor’s valuation of your property may significantly increase your property tax assessment. If you disagree with the new assessed value, the law offices of E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy can explore your opportunities to reverse or reduce your assessment and the tax hike.
We have a record of notable results in the specialized area of tax abatement litigation, also known as property tax appeals or tax certiorari. At the local level and in court, our advocacy has spared clients from substantial tax hits.
From our offices in Albany, Troy, Schenectady, and Saratoga Springs, the attorneys of E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy primarily handle commercial property assessment disputes. We actively serve business owners in the Capital District, Central and Upstate New York, and the Lower Hudson River Valley.
As with most law firms that represent taxpayers in certiorari, we also represent a number of municipalities. We believe that our experience on both sides helps us find flaws in your assessment as the basis for an appeal or to gauge middle ground in out-of-court negotiations.
Challenging Tax Assessments
There are essential “three bites at the apple” to contest your valuation and tax assessment:
- We can talk to the assessor to try to get your case reviewed before the tentative roll is set. We will point out specific errors or factors that we believe should result in a reduction in assessed value and taxes.
- If the assessor’s office declines to reconsider your case or stands by its assessment after review, we can file for an examination by the Board of Assessment Review. Your case will be considered by a panel that can reduce the assessment.
- If the Board of Assessment review upholds the local assessor’s findings, we file with the New York State courts to challenge the assessment judicially.
Our tax abatement practice is headed by partner David R. Murphy. He is an accomplished trial attorney with over 35 years of experience in tax appeals and real estate litigation, and authored sections of “Review and Reduction of Real Property Assessments in New York” published by the New York State Bar Association.
We have the sophisticated knowledge of property valuation and property classification to counter the assessor’s determination of fair market value. We look at revenues, expenses, lease rates, sales or valuations of similar properties and many other factors.
Our Capital District lawyers are skilled at challenging tax assessments, but we can’t promise to reduce your taxes. We can offer an experienced evaluation of your case and our honest legal opinion of whether and how to proceed. We offer a variety of legal fee arrangements, depending on your risk tolerance and the complexity of your case.
E. Stewart Jones Hacker Murphy also helps clients with the following property tax dispute cases:
- Property Tax Appeal for Business Owners
- Property tax Assessment Appeal
- Hotel Resort Property Tax Assessment Disputes
- Golf Course Property Tax Assessment Appeals
- Municipality Tax Litigation
Call us toll-free at (518) 284-3183 or contact us online to arrange a consultation at one of our four regional law offices or at a location most convenient for you.